Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Reason for Revelations

In my own fanciful imagination, I am caught off guard by reality.  At times my own mannerisms, gestures and thoughts have shocked--awed me in a distinct realization that I am not who I think I am.  The image I posses of myself--what I see in my mind mirror, as opposed to a real mirror, is different if not diametrically opposed.  If I were downloaded into the matrix, my visible change wouldn't be mere regress into a sleek '90's-era black overcoat, stemless shades, and bleached, preening hair.  I'd look something more akin to, well something else.  All I know is that when I look at myself in the mirror, I often times retort: "That is really me?"

And the distinct estrangement I sense when I observe my external demeanor, extends often further into what I sense about me, but that which I cannot see.  And the multitudinous layers of self-hood that I portray in any given moment, with any given set of interlocutors, has left me, especially acutely today, with the simple yearning to connect on a level that perhaps extends beyond self-presentation or on a level the sinks below it.  Whether my "deepest self" (if it exists at all) is a higher state or an underpinning one, I face it everyday.  I face it like the sun faces the unending universe, reaching with each step in time even further into nothingness.  You, dear friend, are my nothingness.  For if I were to break open your rib-cage and dig for eternity one micro-inch after another, would I have ever discovered your deepest self?  And would our deepest selves ever find each other?

In the mix of color, sleepiness, and drowsy sex-talk over wine or whiskey, haven't we already been here a thousand times before?  And don't we, each time, wish that something would happen (like maybe the world ending or a heart-attack)?  When we come back around, and we finally viscerally understand what the mundane means, don't we secretly wish we could stop here, in this moment, forever?  And finally be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment